[LAU] Ardour2- Ranges, Playlists, and Selecting Them

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Sun Aug 31 19:48:13 EDT 2008

The Other schrieb:
> 08/31/08

> I still haven't figured out how to set the beginning and ending points
> of a range so I could delete the range.

You mean delete the range to chop off unwanted stuff at the beginning
and the end?

That is not needed - you can drag the beginning and the end of a region
with the mouse.
1.)select the hand-tool in the toolbar to the left above the editor.
2.)It turns into a horizontal arrow if you come near the border of a
range. Leftclick and hold then drag the end/beginning as needed.

You can also trim you recordings as needed by splitting a region (hold
hand-tool above the point in a selectet region and press S). This will
give you 2 independent represenations of your recording that can be
trimmed the way abovementioned.

Keep in Mind that ardour is NO destructive Waveeditor - you edit
graphically presented pointers to your wavefiles that say:

play file001 as the cursor reaches second 12.0077 from sample 0 to
sample 12224355

you can change such commands by trimming/dragging/splitting regions at
will to say things like:

if you drag:

play file001 as the cursor reaches second 23.810 from sample 0 to sample
12224355

if you trim:

play file001 as the cursor reaches second 23.810 from sample 210 to
sample 1110223

or if you split:

play file001 as the cursor reaches second 23.810 from sample 210 to
sample 3456 then the very same file as the cursor hits second 121.001
from sample 3412 to sample 1110223

> I wasn't able to find a way in Ardour2 to normalize less than
> the maximum amount

You can normalize a region and then lower its gain like this:

Edit/Misc Shortcuts/cut region gain

> Thank goodness you can Exit Ardour2
> without saving any changes.  I was doing that repeatedly.

???
You can revive simple erased regions by using undo.

tipp:

the range-tool is somewhat different then in Audacity or others. For
most of the actions one is used to perform with it Ardour provides the
Hand-tool (objects).
Most convenient, if you get used to it ;-)

good luck ;-)

HZN