[LAU] Best setup for sound recording under Intrepid

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Mon Dec 29 13:14:04 EST 2008

Stephen Nesbitt wrote:
> In this maillist I have seen a lot of warning that realtime is broken in
> Intrepid. Ok that's understandable if not wonderful :-)

I'm using 8.10 on my notebook, an HP G60-125NR. By my experience,
Intrepid is a mixed blessing.

Btw, I'm using the Molnar patched rt-kernel.

> But the question is then if one is running Intrepid what is the proper setup?
> I'm looking for something like "The (almost) Perfect Sound Recording  Setup
> for Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex". This is information I haven't seen and given the
> number of questions in reference to Intrepid being asked on this list, one
> that might be valuable.
>
> The fundamental requirement is that one is running Intrepid as one's main
> system. Replacing Intrepid with Hardy is not an option.

Is this system on a notebook or desktop box ? Perhaps you'll do better
on a desktop machine, but I would not recommend using Intrepid as a
production system on a notebook.

> Here are some possibilities that have crossed my mind:
> 1) Setup a dual boot Hardy/Intrepid system - doable but a pain because of 1)
> the need to reboot and 2) the potential loss of access to one's standard home
> directory, tools, email and system configuration.

It's the safest route though.

> 2) Use Intrepid despite not having access to a realtime kernel. In this case
> information on realistic expectations on latency, how to best configure Jack to
> limit xruns, etc would be very nice. In other words, can Intrepid even be used
> as a base for music recording and what are the gotchas (if any)?

Frankly, I have so many non-audio related problems with Intrepid that I
can't recommend it at all. See this Ubuntu users forum for more opnions
re: 8.10 :

Best,

dp