[LAU] controlling LADSPA plugins whith a midi pedal ?

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Fri Feb 15 18:54:02 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 11:31:40PM +0100, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sebastian_Tsch=F6pel_ wrote:
> Hi Benoit,
>
> I use a Oxygen 8 Midikeyboard to control certain parameters of LADSPA
> plugins. I use the Alsa Modular Synth for that. There is a special
> dialog where you can assign Midi- Notes to the parameters of the plugins
> and the build in modules.
>
> Since MIDI = MIDI, this should work for you pedal as well.
> --
> Best regards,
> Sebastian.
>
> Web: linuxaudioblog.sternenhejim.de
>

> On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 23:09 +0100, Benoit Rouits wrote:
> > hello,
> > Being fed up with controlling LADSPA plugins with the mouse
> > (i have only 2 arms on the piano already..) I wondered if
> > i could buy at least one midi pedal an control one of the parameter
> > of a ladspa plugin (inserted in jack-rack or OM f.i.) with it.
> >
> > I heard OM is controllable with OSC but i know nothing of it.
> >
> > have one of you any experience/links ont that topic ?

AFAICT the choices are:

1) Ardour, has extensive MIDI bindings, but didn't bind "pop-up menu" parameters to MIDI last I used it
2) AMS
3) Ingen (experimental and you have to chase SVN to use it)
4) ecasound, though you have to add lots of weird command line switches to define MIDI bindings
5) JACK RACK has MIDI support, though I've never gotten it working

Out of all the above, the easiest I found to set up for controlling LADSPA parameters was Ardour, though it had some limitations as described above.

-ken