[LAU] Preamp for mic/ guitar

Emiliano Grilli emillo at libero.it
Fri May 30 07:27:13 EDT 2008

Friday, 30 May 2008 alle 13:15:21, schoappied ha scritto:
> Emiliano Grilli wrote:
> > Thursday, 29 May 2008 alle 22:50:09, schoappied ha scritto:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>

> >> I've bought a m-audio audiophile 24/96 and a mic shure sm 58 beta
> >> (thanks for your advices ;) ).
> >>

> > They're "industry standards" :)
> >

> >> I also have a epiphone les paul elekt. guitar with a orange crush 30 r
> >> amplifier.
> >>
> >> Now I want to be able to record voice and guitar, so I need a preamp...
> >> (or a mixer, if that's better)
> >>

> > A mixer would do better only if it's a big and old one: I grabbed
> > recently a soundtracs rx-8 for 400 eur and it is fantastic sounding and
> > very flexible (even if a bit heavy). Brands to search for are all
> > british (in my opinion): sountracs, allen & heath, souncraft,
> > studiomaster, trident. At the top of the food chain there are studers,
> > but I fear that will cost at least around 1500 eur.
> >
> > I have also a rack mountable soundcraft folio but its preamps, althoug
> > better than the ones of ART or behringer, are not up to the ones on the
> > 24 channel soundtracs console.
> >
> > A 24 channel console can be overkill for your puroposes, but can be the
> > best thing to search for in the used market. Buy locally if you can, as
> > you'd better try all channels and functions (and noises) before buiyng.
> >

> >> My budget is around 100 euro, but don't be to strict on that, maybe I'll
> >> can get some things second hand...
> >>
> >> I was thinking about these things, but Giuseppe, was telling that the
> >> art tubes are not a really good choice:
> >>
> >> - http://www.thomann.de/nl/art_tube_mp_project_series.htm
> >>

> > I had one of those, and sell it immediatly. Not very good, in my opinion
> > too
> >

> >> What about the alternative in this area?
> >>
> >> - audio buddy: http://www.thomann.de/nl/m-audio_audio_buddy.htm
> >>

> > I don't know it
> >

> >> - Studio Projects VTB1 : http://www.thomann.de/nl/studio_projects_vtb1.htm
> >>

> > I have two of these and they're fine for the price. I never use the
> > "valve" feature, though.. maybe those are among the best in this price
> > range.
> >

> >> What are good preamps? Are there good preamps in the range of 100 - 250
> >> euro? (Maybe I'll can get some second hand).
> >>

> > I also have a dbx 285a (around 280 eur) which is a channel strip with
> > some useful features like a compressor, an expander and deesser. Nice. I
> > often use this one for single mic recordings.
> >
> > Then on the "little more expensive side", I have a Groove tubes "the
> > brick" (around 400 eur) which is a true tube preamp, great as bass DI
> > but doesn't have lots of gain. Then, and this is my best and most used
> > one, there is the FMR really nice preamp (2 channels for ~ 500 eur).
> > If you can afford it is a really good sounding preamp, and one of the
> > most recognized even by pro users (even if "entry level", by their
> > standards)
> >

> Thanks. And what do you think about the presonus firebox? I can get it
> for 175 euro..

I never used one. But if I understand correctly it's an all-in-one
preamp/soundcard, and you already have the soundcard...

I suggest you search on groups.google.com on the rec.audio.pro newsgroup
to search information about a specific device. Also the tapeop
messageboard or gearslutz.com are good places to see people's opinions:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.audio.pro/topics
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.music.home-studio/topics
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/