[LAU] two ubuntu questions

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Mon Nov 24 09:03:38 EST 2008

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 07:13:43 -0500
Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> My new notebook is almost perfect, but I still need to automate a few
> steps.
>
> I have a MidiSport 2x2 USB MIDI interface attached to the machine. I
> installed the firmware and added the necessary info to the udev
> rules. Alas, the device doesn't initialize at boot time. Success
> occurs if I re-plug the device, but I'd like to skip that step.
>
> Ditto for the rtirq script. Where do I put it so that it's autoloaded
> at boot ?

I don't know the script, I guess it's some kind of daemon?
You could just enter a line to the /etc/rc.local file to start it
from there.

If the midisport works after re-plugging it's like that HAL does this.
I don't know a solution, but maybe this helps a bit.

> Sorry if these are obvious questions. I'm new to the Tao of Ubuntu,
> and I'm still learning here. :)
>
> Btw, I have an Edirol UA25 coming to me soon. Any extra advice from
> LAU folk regarding its configuration and use ?

It worked pretty well for me so far on ubuntu studio, it doesn't really
need special treatment. Just be aware that you need to turn the
advanced mode on to be able to use most of the features and in order to
change the samplerate you need to disconnect the device, set the switch
on the backside of it to the desired samplerate and reconnect it.
Oh, and I think I read that the "UA-25 something", the newer version,
doesn't work.

Philipp