[LAU] UA25 and xruns

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Wed Nov 26 06:45:46 EST 2008

Greetings,

I received my UA25 yesterday. The system recognizes it immediately, and
audio I/O appears to be working fine. The MIDI ports show up in
QJackCtl's ALSA connections panel, but I haven't tested them.

Nice unit, but there's one big trouble with it: I get a lot of xruns
from JACK. I've Googled for solutions, tried every suggested setting,
got no joy. The only setting that works without xruns at all yields a
latency of more than 30 ms (-p 512 -n 4 -r 44100). If I lower the period
size to 256 I can get the latency down to 23.2 ms and suffer only an
occasional xrun. Btw, the rtirq script doesn't seem to help this unit.

I thought this device would get lower latency than the on-board
soundchip, but the HDA chipset runs at ~17 ms latency with no xruns at
all. Am I missing something ? The UA25's Advanced switch is on, the
sample rate is set correctly. Any further suggestions ?

Best,

dp