[LAU] alsa/xvidcap question

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Tue Aug 4 13:34:50 EDT 2009

Greetings,

My editor at LJ asked an apparently simple question: In an ALSA-only
environment (no JACK), how can he record system sounds and a mic input
simultaneously when capturing his desktop with xvidcap ? He's working
with an hda-nvidia chipset that I also have on one of my machines, so I
can test any suggestions myself. So far I'm not having much luck
recording anything other than the mic input with xvidcap. So, any
suggestions ? Maybe some dmix or asoundrc wizardry ? Please advise if
more information is needed.

Of course, this was ridiculously easy with recordmydesktop and JACK. :)

Best,

dp