[LAU] Pros and cons of 64 bit Linux

Matt Henley nwmatt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 16:48:33 EDT 2009

I have my system running 64-bit Gentoo with no real problems.  32-bit and
64-bit software run on the system as long as there are corresponding
libraries for the app to link to.  Ardour is compiled as 64-bit which means
I cannot use VST's in it, but dssi-vst works fine since Wine seems to be
32-bit and they are run as a separate process from the 64-bit audio apps.
 I haven't seen any problems with Flash/Java/ or media players.  I can't
address the video card as I use an Nvidia with the Nvidia 64-bit binary
driver which works fine for me.  The reason I switched to 64-bit was that I
upgraded to 8 GB memory for rendering in blender.
Matt