[LAU] ableton live in vmware

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Aug 27 13:45:51 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Atte Andre Jensen<atte.jensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm about to consider trying out ableton live. Since I don't have
> windows (or macOS) installed, I'm thinking about installing the windows
> (vista) I got with my laptop in vmware. But first I'd like to ask a few
> questions here:
>
> 1) Doesn't anyone here have first hand experience with running ableton
> live through vmware?
>
> 2) Does it run fast/slow?
>
> 3) Can it be used with jack?

You can't access JACK from inside vmware, at least not without going
via the alsa-jack plugin which means quite a lot of extra buffering.

> 4) How about jack transport (for syncing other apps)?

you're inside a windows bubble. no JACK stuff is going in or out.

i suggest you try it under wine instead if interaction with native
linux apps matters, though you will still have no shared transport via
JACK.