[LAU] dualcore and audio software

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Mon May 4 23:07:09 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 01:44:55AM +0200, Atte Andr? Jensen wrote:
> Ken Restivo wrote:
>
> > IIRC, it was called "irqbalance". I had to disable it.
>
> Was that a kernel config option?
>
> Or are you perhaps talking about this:
>
> root at vestbjerg:~# apt-get remove irqbalance
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package irqbalance is not installed, so not removed

Ya, that's the one.

> If that's what you mean, would that be a problem since it's not installed?

If you don't have it installed then obviously it's a non-problem for you :-)

> > Also remember to turn off cpufreq, by either unloading the cpufreq
> > modules, or setting them manually, i.e. "sudo cpufreq-set -g
> > userspace; sudo cpufreq-set -f xxxxx" (set it to the max clock of
> > your CPUs).
>
> I believe that shouldn't be a problem if I have set
> System->Preferences->Power Management->On AC Power->Computer speed
> policy to "Always maximum speed", right? At least (when on AC power) my
> cpufreq applet always shows "2.00 GHz", which is the maximum speed of my
> cpu...

I don't know what GUI you're using, and I don't use one myself, so I can't answer that with any certainty. But if you run cpufreq-info, it should tell you which governor you're using. If it's "userspace", and the CPU frequency is at maximum, then you should be fine. "Performance" is *not* the same thing, IIRC. The "performance" governor will still change your frequency and might cause glitches. Then again, it might be fine for you. For example, I've seen advice to remove the kernel modules completely in order to assure that there is no throttling going on, but that hasn't been necessary for me.

-ken