[LAU] [OT] Help with mixing and mastering?

James Stone jamesmstone at gmail.com
Fri May 8 12:06:52 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

Although this is not strictly linux-audio related, I thought I
would ask here, as I am using linux tools, and I know there are
some really knowledgeable people here. So my question is, do you
have any recommendations about where I can look to learn how to
record, mix and master a standard 4 piece rock band?

So far, I have recorded some tracks using ardour (on my eeepc -
so only a max of 2 simultaneous line in), and fiddled around with
plugins on each of the instruments. This is what I have at the
moment (transferred to my desktop so processing power is not a
problem):

Drums (only 1 channel comprised of a mix of the snare mic and
bass drum mic): Multiband EQ (bass emphasis), C* Compressor,
Barry's Satan Maximizer, c* plate (very subtle reverb)

Bass: Dyson compressor, C*plate (very subtle reverb)

Guitar: Multiband EQ (treble emphasis), Barry's Satan Maximiser, Plate reverb

Vocals: Multiband EQ (treble emphasis), C* Compressor, Barry's
Satan Maximizer, c* plate

Then on master I have only a multiband EQ with the 50Hz gain set
to -70dB

This is probably a highly unusual setup, but I really have no
clue what I am doing, so I would appreciate some help - for
example does it make sense to use the C* compressor followed by
BSM? What effects are usually used on what instruments? What is a
good reverb (not plate verb) for linux? Is there somewhere I can
go to read more about this?

The second question is about mastering - I have fiddled with
Jamin, and can make everything louder and more compressed, but
what am I really aiming for here? Again is there somewhere I can
go to read more?

I would appreciate any thoughts people have about this.

All the best,

James