[LAU] ACPI, HW and Jack issues? "[solved]"

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vait.se
Fri May 15 11:19:15 EDT 2009

On Thursday 14 May 2009 19.20.58 Brent Busby wrote:
> On Thu, 14 May 2009, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> > Yes, less than a millisecond. :-) ..but I still have to send "nosmp" to
> > the kernel in Grub's menu.lst-file - or the system freezes; I wasn't
> > aware of that when I wrote to this list yesterday - so it's still a lot
> > of potential for improvements;
>
> Hmm...seems like I've been seeing that a lot lately -- people who are
> getting low latency to work, at the expense of SMP.  This is troubling
> for me, because I was planning on soon finally upgrading my Athlon XP
> based system to an AMD quad core.  Is the realtime kernel always badly
> behaved on a multi-CPU system with SMP enabled?  That could be bad,
> considering that there almost isn't any other kind of PC these days.

I consider to go back to a minimal Ubuntu 8.04 and install it's rt-kernel only
and from there install anything I need from source. The 8.04 was rock stable
in the beginning, but I suspect that the RT-kernel was messed up in a later
upgrade. If I don't run a apt-get upgrade ever when I have that system, then
it will be production ready again. The security is not a big issue, because
the network is disabled (except when I have to be online with it).

Jostein