[LAU] Snare drum mic too hot

Scott lau at troutpocket.org
Sat May 9 19:14:06 EDT 2009

I've seen some excellent threads lately on studio recording which reminded me of a
problem I'm having which I'd like to pose to the list...

My snare mic is way too hot while recording.  I have the preamp turned all the way
down and it's still coming through nearly saturated.  First of all, is this normal for
a dedicated snare mic?  Second, should I skip the preamp altogether and plug directly
into my Echo Audio Audiofire12?  Final recordings actually sound really good after
minimal mixing.  I only add a slight reverb to the final mix, but otherwise it's got a
great studio sound.

Any tips to give my snare track more headroom?

My kit:
Dell XPS 1210 (1GB RAM, 7.2kRPM drive)
Fedora 10: CCRMA
Ardour+Jack