[LAU] [LAM] A new orchestral pop-song from me

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 21:58:34 EDT 2009

Hi Julien,
   Nice piece of music. Lots to work with there and I enjoyed it from
start to finish so don't take the following comments too much to
heart.

   I suppose if I was going to give any critique then it would be that
I don't think that in this mix the band stands up to the piano very
well. Most of the backing sounds too wimpy when they come in so I
remained unconvinced as I listened. I sounds more like what you might
do to show your band what you wanted them to play and less like they
went into the studio and played it for you.

   If I was going to try and mix this then the first place I'd go,
when the band starts in, is to more or less bury the piano in the mix
for a while. I'd let the mix get louder, let the other instruments  -
drums and bass certainly - shine through a bit and then bring the
piano back later as a focal point. If they can stand up and sound real
then the sound will absolutely sound better. (To my ears anyway...) Of
course, that's easy to say and maybe not so easy to do.

   Again, it's a nice piece of music so I hope the comments might help
you move forward with the production side of things.

Cheers,
Mark