[LAU] Hardware VST host?

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 10:08:49 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Michael Bohle <opendaw at jacklab.org> wrote:

>> Not all VSTs have equivalents on Linux, sadly, especially with regard
>> to virtual instruments.
>
> We have good instruments like Hexter and so on, enough for music production. If it is not enough for you, start to developing other virtual instruments. But don't look back to the proprietary shiny VST preset wonderland, we don't need this.

I would love to develop more virtual instruments but don't have the
resources for recording orchestral instruments and choirs. It's doubly
sad that a lot of manufacturers are moving to proprietary sample
engines so you can't even migrate the samples into LinuxSampler or
similar. There are a large number of sample libraries that simply
can't be used on Linux. I'm not saying I like the situation, I'd like
to be running a 100% Linux studio, but have no choice.

-- Brett