[LAU] mudita24 1.02 -- improved envy24control mixer/router for ice1712-based sound-cards

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 14:45:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 5:02 AM, R.Wolff <musicwolf at web.de> wrote:
> looks really great. Finally a mixer panel with REAL db-value readout.

Thanks! (And soon, Tim E. Real's  changes will be finalized&integrated
and it will be even better
( http://linuxaudio.org/mailarchive/lad/2010/8/10/172644 ). Other than
good old 'alsamixer', another mixer with dB markings is
http://sourceforge.net/projects/alsamixer-qt4/  which looks promising
and might even fully support ice1712  one of these days (
http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2010-August/030514.html
).

> Can't wait to try it out.
> One thing that is still a little unclear to me is, do I still need the original
> 'alsa-tools-gui'
> package (Ubuntu 10.04), or can I simply install over a standard alsa implementation?

You should be able to install over a standard ALSA implementation. If
you use the standard autoconf params "sudo make install" will install
a binary in /usr/local/bin/envy24control
and a manual page at /usr/local/share/man/man1/envy24control.1 . If
you have your $PATH setup
with /usr/local/bin in priority, then you should get the new
envy24control. Otherwise, you'll need to specify the full path to the
installed binary; or rename it; link to it; wrap it in a script, etc.

> P.S.: While we're at it: Maybe you could explain me what the 'volume change
> rate' value on the '
> hardware settings' tab means? What is it for? What does it adjust/smooth out?

( from mudita24-1.0.3/README, orig
http://alsa.cybermirror.org/manuals/icensemble/envy24.pdf )
Adjustment of responsivity vs. "zipper noise" from the 1.5dB steps at the
top-range of the digital mixer attenuators is achieved by the following
control under "Hardware Settings":

MT3B: Volume Control Rate Register
Volume update rate control (sampling rate, PSYNC)
This register allows gradual change of the digital mixer volume
setting. The value in MT3B specifies the number of samples to elapse (in
hex) between each 1.5dB increment/decrement in volume mixer.  This gradual
volume update continues until the setting programmed into MT38 is
reached. The appropriate value to program may vary, but 00 or 01h are
good
choices for most cases.

-- Niels
http://nielsmayer.com