[LAU] OT: talent and craftsmanship [was: Re: OT: Dub Fx]

Viktor Mastoridis viktor at mastoridis.co.uk
Sat Feb 13 05:57:20 EST 2010

> as i noted, i think its quite difficult for most people to *discover* where
> their talents lie. (P. Davis)

---
I agree totally with this. I believe that the seed of a talent lies in in
the attraction of some skill/art/technique by someone.

As a music teacher, I see that for some children singing is just as natural
as talking, they easily remember a song after they heard it only once, other
seem to enjoy the 'performances', and other group of children are not
interested at all in music. Then out in the playground, or in their
classrooms, I see that some of them are 'born' to be builders, to make
constructions, other children are inclined to reading, other just love to
help their teachers, other love sports etc.

So, one is naturally attracted to what lies within. The more exposure one
has to various things in life, the more likely to discover one's real
talent.

A parent once asked me: It's time for my child to learn an instrument(?!)
What instrument shall I choose for him?

My gut reaction was: take him to concerts (not videos), expose him to as
many live, real instruments as you can, musical styles, situations with
music (workshop, party with real instruments, etc). And then, see if a child
expresses a wish to learn any instrument at all.

On the wider scale, one of the biggest problems in today's world is the
'safety' issue. In most schools today, if you want to take children say, to
the zoo, you need to fill endless form of 'safety assessments'. Many things
and objects are removed from playgrounds, deemed to un-safe; children can't
have their private corners, they need to be seen from us teachers all the
time.
This kills most forms of spontaneity, which is important in discovering what
truly lies in a person.

But the biggest danger of all (in discovering what are our natural talents)
is the drive of today's global society to measure success, achievement and
fulfilment with money and fame. Children take on instruments because they
want to be famous. They grow in a world where 'talent for making money'
becomes the highest and most valuable asset.

(And I will stop right here. Sorry for taking this space and talking of
something that might not be the most appropriate on a LAU list. Paul's
thought provoked me deeply. )

Viktor Mastoridis