[LAU] delta 1010 background hiss

David Santamauro david.santamauro at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 13:05:46 EST 2010

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 08:36:51 -0800
Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at cosgroves.us> wrote:

> If you mute all the inputs, maybe even disconnecting the inputs, do
> you still get noise?  Is it on a few channels?  All channels?  If you
> change the input gains of the 1010, does the noise change?  If you
> change the output gains of the 1010, does the noise change?

If I mute all the Hw inputs, I still see the dull reading on the
meters but no, the monitor doesn't send anything to main out
(obviously). Yes, I've disconnected all inputs and shut off the mixer
but I still see the slight green background noise on the envy24control
meters. I've switched input gains from on the 1010 rack module as well,
no difference. .... and yes, all channels consistently.

Could there be a difference in the drivers between the 2496 and the
1010... or maybe between 32-bit and 64-bit? I guess my next course of
action is to simply grab the 2496 out of the test machine and toss it
in here to see if there is noise or not.

> I did have a 1010 unit which started getting intermittently noisy on
> some channels, and eventually all channels.  It turned out to be a
> bunch of bad capacitors in the 1010.  It was under warranty, and I
> got an exchange unit for it.  I didn't have a Windows system to see
> if the symptoms were any different.  On Linux the bad input has noise
> levels bouncing about -10dB on the meters.  I have my hardware input
> level switches at +4dB, if that makes a difference.

My meters (in arduor) bounce between -40 and -30.

> Keep working on this.  It'll be worth it....

I hope so... I've been making music with the 1010 for a few years now
and would hate to have to give it up. I'm spoiled with the 8 inputs.

thanks,

David