[LAU] Yet another audio interface post

Giuseppe Zompatori siliconjoe at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 10:01:45 UTC 2010

2010/7/16 Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com>:

> David, I am reading you. I have no problems with two mono inputs. But, as
> I've said earlier, the soundcard
> discussed here offers only ONE mono input. And this is exactly what I was
> asking - whether it offers any stereo input,

Mono inputs on "pro audio cards" are usually for meant for electrified
acustic instruments (guitar, bass, etc., anything containing a
pick-up) and besides being mono, they are not designed to take line
signals optimally (high impedance inputs AKA Hi-Z). Same story for
sound cards with a mic preamplifier (Low-Z inputs).

So, no, your sound card(what model is it?) won't do a stereo input
unless it has 2 regular (line level) inputs hidden somewhere.

You should have done a bit of research before buying your sound card ;)

> be it two mono inputs or not. I guess the answer is no - that soundcard does
> not enable stereo input in any way. The soundcard
> discussed in the first mail, I mean, forgot its name now.

see http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-emu10k1

The EMU 0404 USB should be supported in later kernels (I am sure
Clemens Ladisch has more insights to offer on this).
Even though this won't help you if you're running an ancient version
of Ubuntu, unless you update your kernel to a newer one.

Cheers,

-Giuseppe