[LAU] Jack shots down or creates xruns

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sat Jun 26 06:56:33 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Saturday 26 June 2010 08:30:36 Thomas Hedegaard wrote:
> *It might be that your BIOS allows selecting interrupts for devices. Other
> then
> that I fear you are completely out-of-luck with that laptop for
> firewire-audio.*
>
> I cant change my interrupts in BIOS unfortunately . But when I run Win xp
> on this computer I can record four tracks simultaneously with 10ms latency
> or mix 8 tracks with plugins. So this should not be a hardware issue.

And I have ffado together with nvidia graphics (without sharing interrupts)
working. So its not a software issue.

Now what?

Believe me: Sharing interrupts is still a bad problem in this century. At
least when you have to interrupt-heavy devices like firewire and graphics share
the IRQ.

And its not that re-assuring that the other operating system works: There you
have a special driver that works around the hardware quirks. And if you look
at your sound-devices documentation, they will tell you a long list of
probably-not-working controllers and only a small list of working ones.

> *A side-note: There is a reason the ffado-README contains instructions what
> report in case of errors. Mostly a verbose log of jack. And the output of
> ffado-diag...*
>
> This last bit I dont understand..

What it says, is that ffado (the bit of software you use to make jackd talk
firewire) has an extensive README-file which explains what to do in case you
need help or want to report a bug. Because most people (you too!) miss to get
us all the information we devs need. And we feel that our spare-time is better
spent hacking and fixing then telling people the same things over and over
again. Thats why you really should read the README-files of apps/libraries.

Have fun,

Arnold

PS: Your style of citations is broken and a strange mix of TOFU and
citations...