[LAU] Migrating to Linux - need help

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Fri Oct 1 19:54:49 UTC 2010

Hi again,

I think you fell for "reply to munging": you did reply only to me
instead of the list. I've CCed it on this reply.

I'm not using Ubuntu but here are few hints that may apply to it as well:

 * run 'gstreamer-properties' from a console (it might be available from
the gnome-menu as well) to configure the default desktop-audio device.
You need to install 'gstreamer-jack' (maybe called
'gstreamer-plugins-bad') package.

After starting JACK, Music Playback (rhythmbox, totem, etc) should now
go to your Delta Audiophile. mplayer can be configured to use JACK by
default with a ~/.mplayer/config

 * There are some tricks to pipe ALSA applications' audio through JACK:

   A) http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc#JACK_plugin
does not reliably work with all ALSA applications, but gives sound to
skype and flash and it is easy to set up.

or

   B)
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Jack_and_Loopback_device_as_Alsa-to-Jack_bridge
works very well, but is [still] tricky to setup up and consumes a bit
more CPU.

Using one of those options, it is certainly possible to also configure
Orca to go via JACK, but I see a few problems which may not easily
solved by a GNU/Linux Newbie, mostly related to the auto-start procedure
during boot: first JACK, (then possibly alsa_in/out for (B) and finally
Orca's speech-system. I suggest you start a new thread on the list "Orca
Speech Dispatcher and JACK" - other's may have solved this issue.

Even though you said you want to do _everything_ with the Delta card, I
suggest to re-evaluate that idea for the following reasons:

 - simplicity and robustness of setup (also during updates)
 - volume-control: you may want to have different levels for the
speech-system and music-production.
 - no-interference when multi-tasking: I'd be annoyed when quickly
reading mail in the middle of a music-production a speech dispatcher
pipes into my JACK session and blasts out trough the monitor speakers.

just my 2c,
robin