[LAU] OT: external sound for linux card advice

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sat Sep 4 17:27:41 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Saturday 04 September 2010 12:44:55 Lorenzo wrote:
> Anyway I may have found a bargain for a Focusrite Saffire PRO 24
> http://www.focusrite.com/products/saffire/saffire_pro_24/
> Although the ffado site lists support as experimental
> (http://www.ffado.org/?q=node/1204) the posts there and other stuff
> about the pro 10 which I guess is similar make me optimistic about it
> working.
>
> Again it would be nice to hear some current news from someone
> successfully using it

Pro24 and Pro10 are very different devices.

The Pro24 will work with ffado trunk (not the official releases yet). If it
doesn't work, its more likely the problem of your general firewire setup.

We still recommend using the old firewire stack for productional use, the new
stack is still working on becoming ready (for some dice-based devices like the
pro24, output is not working on the new stack). We recommend a recent kernel
and an up-to-date libraw1394 (kernel 2.6.32 and libraw1394 2.0.5 are the
absolut minimum to use the new stack). Especially the kernel gets better with
each new version.

The gui for the router of the pro24 might be hard to understand at first, a new
one is in the works but not yet finished. All the other features work.
And the preamps are nice.

Have fun,

Arnold