[LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 09:29:08 UTC 2011

On 08/04/2011 04:41 AM, Rustom Mody wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 2:25 AM, David Baron <d_baron at 012.net.il
> <mailto:d_baron at 012.net.il>> wrote:
>
>     My 2 cents:
>
>     I use software that does the job. OpenSource is not necessarly
>     free, just
>     means one can get the sources and compile it, twiddle the code, if
>     one so
>     chooses. Not all musicians can or want to bother with this. One
>     thing is that
>     opensource authors are much more accessible and listen to
>     suggestions. This
>     has made nted into quite an effective scoring package. Put down
>     top bucks for
>     Sibelius, great program but you buy the package, that's it.
>

> I guess I can say that nted has changed my life quite significantly.
> I have been a hobbyist pianist and professionally a teacher of
> computer science/programing. Suddenly I am a teacher of singing mostly
> teaching people who never imagined they could read staff notation.
> (Heres an example: http://vimeo.com/16894001/  of how it works)
>
> So much for the good side.
>
> But of late nted keeps crashing/erroring. My recent questions on the
> nted list have gone unanswered.  Am I grumbling?  Well not really.
> Joerg Anders has done a superb job of making nted and like all he must
> have a life outside that also.   But realistically I would like to
> know whether development has died and it would be best for me to cut
> my losses (about a hundred hours spent typing in scores) and move to
> something else.
>
> On a related note because my ubuntu laptop runs nted it cannot run
> pulseaudio.  Because it cannot run pulseaudio no other audio works.
> If we are talking of the state of linux audio maybe a small mention of
> the pulseaudio saga would not be out of place?
>
> I could go on but this is a long enough rant :-)
>
> My main point is that this discussion seems to separate
> politics/sociology from technical issues.  The reality is in-between:
> I am able to do things thanks to linux and free software that I
> could/would not otherwise have imagined.  But things are very far from
> 'just working'.
> Others may not have such a high 'needs-tweaking' threshold.

Basically NtED was/is the most promising GUI notation editor for me.
Better then MuseScore (faster, lighter imo). But you need more for an
open source project to be successful. One-man-shows (I don't mean that
disrespectful) are, most of the time, less sustainable then projects
which are able to form a nice community of users and developers around
it. MuseScore is doing a excellent job on that point and the project
gives you a lot of features now. The project seems to have a lot of
support from different kind of people, which gives me, as a user, the
confidence that it will useful for me in the coming years. Personally I
rather learn to use a piece of software if the chances are low that is
will stop/die soon...

Regards,
\r