[LAU] gx_head accessibility question/request

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Mon Feb 21 10:12:03 UTC 2011

Am 21.02.2011 01:04, schrieb S. Massy:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:28:12AM +0100, Hartmut Noack wrote:
>> Am 16.02.2011 20:43, schrieb S. Massy:
>>> Hey again,
>>>

>>> BTW, has anybody found a good clean setting with gx_head?
>>
>> I made a preset called "krystallic" for my Ibanez RG RX, that sounds
>> really crisp for me. You can find it under "Presets/Factory
>> Settings/zettberlin".
> Ies, I've tried it; very fun to play with, but it was still breaking up
> a little for me.
>

>> At the moment I work on more presets including clean stuff with a RG565.
> Look forward to trying it.
>

>> Please note, that gx_head reacts quite like a real amp to the
>> guitar-signal(and that is, what I like so much about
>> guitarix/gx_head ;-) ) .
>>
>> Thus the input-gain has a strong influence on the results. So if a
>> preset does not sound as expected, try to fiddle a little with your
>> system mixer (keep gain just below 0db) and with gx_heads Pre Gain -
>> control.
> What you say makes perfect sense. I guess I'm too used to a real amp; I
> played with the pots on my guitar, but neglected the preamp gain on my
> soundcard. I guess you usually  keep it pretty low?

Actually I try to keep it as high as possible with some 1-2db under the
clipping level. When I set the level, I play the guitar with all knobs
on 10 as loud as possible. This results in a fairly low level when I
play "normally". And I can thrash as mad without hitting the red. Thus I
have headroom for fiddeling with the controls on my guitars.

best regs
HZN