[LAU] cello-like synthesizer?

Cedric Roux sed at free.fr
Fri Feb 25 09:07:33 UTC 2011

Hi LAUs,

sorry, maybe it's well known, but is there
a synthesizer (or however it might be called) that
more or less sounds like a cello? (I should dig by
myself, but I am very bad at that when it's not
about finding programming related stuff.)

I can edit/modify/compile/debug things, so even
ultra experimental/research/half working stuff is
very welcome.

I am planning to write a little program to detect
movements of my two hands with a little camera
attached to the laptop I have here and I thought
I could, I don't know, send midi events or whatever
to a synthesizer (or whatever) and have some audio
output that would more or less sound like a cello
(I love cello).

Or any string instrument that you play with a bow
if cello is too specific.

To get the idea:
one hand would go up/down and it would be translated
as bow movement. The more on the right the louder the
sound. The other hand controls the pitch in the vertical
direction and another parameter ("metallic" sound let's
say) in the horizontal direction. Visual data sampled
at the frequency of the camera. Colored gloves to quickly
find the hands in the image. Well, pretty basic stuff.

Thanks,
Cédric.