[LAU] [LAA] [ANN] guitarix released gx_head

jy jypllx at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 08:49:02 UTC 2011

2011/1/16 Ivan Tarozzi <itarozzi at gmail.com>

> Il giorno ven, 14/01/2011 alle 21.36 +0100, hermann ha scritto:
> > I'm happy to announce the first public release of gx_head.
> [cut]
>

> Thank you very much for your great job, Hermann!
>
> Next day I will take a tour on new features and default presets.
>
> > gx_head is ready for language support via gettext() and comes thanks to
> > Pablo Fernández with a Spanish translation.
>
> Can you give us some tips about translation? I will glad to help about
> italian language, if no other wants.
> But I'm little confused about which words translate and wich not. For
> example: for the knob description (example GAIN, LEVEL, ...) I think
> english is well (hardware rig also use it)

Hi Ivan,

I'm facing the exact same problem for the French translation. What are the
words that can be translated and what are the ones that, if translated, will
create confusion ?
Basically, musicians are used with terms like the ones you list but aslo
with effect names (delay, overdrive, etc) and some of them are just not
translatable in French :-/

So after a long discussion on linuxMAO.org (French Linux Music Ressource),
we finally decided that :
- effects and parameters (delay, dry/wet, ...) should not be translated to
avoid further confusion
- accoustic terms (bass, treble, ...) even though used by the French
musicians will be translated according to the accoustic theory
- terms that have a generaly accepted translation and not only used in music
software (plugin, ports, bus, client for example) will be translated
- jack related terms will be translated according to the existing
translation of course
- others will be translated

Took us quite some time to agree on that !

Hope it helps !!!
jy