[LAU] OT - syncing partially out of sync video and audio in existing files

Jeff Sandys jpsandys at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 19:06:57 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'd like to fix some videos that have partially out of sync
video and audio, meaning that beginning at a certain point
in the video the audio is suddenly out of sync by a couple
of seconds. There's no constant change, the delay seems
fixed once it's there.

I wonder how to fix such a thing. The files are xvid
encoded videos and vbr mp3 audio inside avi containers.
I thought it should be reasonably easy to cut and move the
audio (re-encode if unavoidable, but I know it's in principle
possible without) and put it back in a container, but I didn't
manage.

Can someone recommend a program/workflow that would allow this?

I tried:
- Avidemux: ...
- openshot: ...
- kino: ...
- openmovieeditor: ...
- cinelerra-cv: ...
- pitivi: ...
- kdenlive: ...

I thought it would be a simple task, really nothing fancy. Seems like I
was wrong.

Regards,
Philipp

Phillipp,
I had a problem with out of sync audio using a camera that recorded
using VBR.  Avidemux was able to fix this with Audio/Build VBR Time Map
     http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=using:vbr_mp3

I can't move or stretch audio in Avidemux, but this time map function
fixed my out of sync problems.
-- Jeff