[LAU] Looking for testers for open source speech-based adventure game

Jeremy Salwen jeremysalwen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 23:14:49 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I'm working on an adventure game, which is entirely speech based.  It is
similar to a text-based adventure game, except you speak and hear the text,
rather than typing and reading it.

I am looking for people to test it and give me suggestions for improvement.

The game itself is just a retrofitted version of the Colossal Cave Adventure
game (known to some as simply "adventure"), and it uses CMU PocketSphinx for
speech recognition, and Festival for speech production.  It was originally a
Uni project.

If playing this sort of game, and giving me feedback on it seems interesting
to you, please let me know.

If you just want to download the source right away, the link is
here<https://github.com/downloads/jeremysalwen/adventure-sphinx/adventure_sphinx-0.1.tar.bz2>.
However, I might warn you that the game is a bit rough to play if you are
not familiar with it (which is precisely why I am looking for feedback on
ways to improve it).

If you've played the game, please let me know:

1. What you tried to do that it wouldn't allow you to.
2. What phrasings didn't work for commands which you thought should have.
3. What it had a hard time recognizing.
4. Anything it recognized as a command that doesn't make syntactical sense.

If you're getting really bad speech recognition results, remember to try to
adjust your microphone and volume settings.

Thanks a lot,
Jeremy Salwen