[LAU] Pops when starting/stopping audio stream

Asa Marco aesir.ml at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 20:09:57 UTC 2012

Il giorno Thu, 20 Dec 2012 13:38:49 +0100
Jannis Achstetter <jannis_achstetter at web.de> ha scritto:

> Am 20.12.2012 13:59, schrieb Asa Marco:
> > Hi everyone,
> > already once in theater we had a problem with disturbing pops when
> > an audio stream was stopped or started from PC, that disappeared by
> > using an Edirol UA25EX as interface.
> >
> > Now I notice that this problem afflicts also my laptop (either with
> > JACK or ALSA) and I really would like to get rid of it.
> >
> > Is the crappy internal soundcard (Intel, chip Realtek
> > ALC269) the only one to blame? What could cause these pops?
> >
> > Is there any way to deal with it at software level?
>
> Ususally when there's such a problem it happens when a program
> opens/closes the (ALSA) device. In such case, using JACK helps since
> the soundcard is "open" all the time. But since you say it happens
> when using JACK, too I guess it might be a power-saving feature. Try
> disabling power-saving / auto standby everywhere you can (BIOS, kernel
> options, ...)

This is reasonable but still I have no luck.
Searching on google I found
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#Pops_When_Starting_and_Stopping_Playback
That seemed the solution for me since no options are avaiable in BIOS
to turn off powersave.

I'll continue experimenting.

Thank you all!