[LAU] studioware equivalent for ardour or rosegarden on linux

Leigh Dyer lsd at wootangent.net
Wed May 16 04:56:19 UTC 2012

On 16/05/12 14:21, Robin Paulson wrote:
> hi all,
> i'm wondering if anyone can help me with some software i am looking for.
>
> i recall some years back, when i was using cakewalk/sonar in the late
> 90s/early 00s, a facility called studioware which allowed me to
> control a hardware synthesiser from within cakewalk. this was driven
> by files which one could load, which then represented each of the
> functions of a midi-connected hardware synthesiser/sampler/fx unit by
> an on-screen button, slider, dial, etc.

I think Ctrlr is exactly what you're after. It's a MIDI control GUI that
lets you design control panels for synths, or load control panels others
have built for them. It runs as either a standalone app or as a VST
plugin, which should theoretically work in Ardour 3.

http://ctrlr.org/

Unfortunately it only coincidentally has a Linux build -- it uses the
JUCE framework, which supports Linux, but the Ctrlr developers aren't
really familiar enough with Linux to maintain a proper port, so it
doesn't actually seem to work right now.

I feel like all it really needs is one Linux user that has the time and
the ability to maintain it. Hopefully someone here can answer that call!

Thanks
Leigh