[LAU] denoising audio files

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Mon May 21 21:48:39 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:04:13AM -0400, Ricardus Vincente wrote:

>  The lack of quality noise-reduction software for linux has been on my
> mind quite a bit lately. I thought it might be a cool idea to create a
> Kickstarter project to fund the development for this.  Mike from
> linuxDSP or Fons would be the best choices (I think) to write the plugs.

:-) Very flattering, but don't expect a single-click solution for
something as volatile as removing unwanted noises from a recording.
In some cases (and more often than one would think) it's just a
matter of some EQ, in other cases a simple noise gate can do the
trick, and sometimes you'll need a multiband expander using pre-
measured statistics. It also depends on how the result is going
to be used afterwards.

As in many cases, it's going to be the skills of the user rather
than the tools that are going to determine success or failure.

Ciao,

--
FA