[LAU] denoising audio files

Ricardus Vincente wizardofgosz at gmail.com
Mon May 21 21:57:04 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 21:48 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> >  The lack of quality noise-reduction software for linux has been on my
> > mind quite a bit lately. I thought it might be a cool idea to create a
> > Kickstarter project to fund the development for this.  Mike from
> > linuxDSP or Fons would be the best choices (I think) to write the plugs.
>
> :-) Very flattering, but don't expect a single-click solution for
> something as volatile as removing unwanted noises from a recording.
> In some cases (and more often than one would think) it's just a
> matter of some EQ, in other cases a simple noise gate can do the
> trick, and sometimes you'll need a multiband expander using pre-
> measured statistics. It also depends on how the result is going
> to be used afterwards.
>
> As in many cases, it's going to be the skills of the user rather
> than the tools that are going to determine success or failure.

 Yes, and I have used those things effectively in the past. But
sometimes real NR software is needed.

I think if it wasn't needed, we wouldn't see so many good choices in the
Protools world (like the Sonnox plugs, they're very good.)

 Anyway, I am just floating the idea. So far, a bunch of people have
committed to contributing to such a Kickstarter campaign, were we to
start one.

 Rich...