[LAU] Fairlight

michael noble looplog at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 01:29:26 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 9:12 AM, various people wrote:

> tough words

I'm not aiming this at you Patrick, or Alexandre, or anyone in
particular, but it never ceases to amaze me how the LAU and LAD lists
are some of the nastiest, most brutal mailing lists around. What is it
that makes people so harsh about Linux Audio? I don't for a second
think that this attitude is something inherent to mailing list
communication as I'm subscribed to various mailing lists that are
perfectly civil. I'm beginning to think the idea of a "Linux Audio
Community" is nothing more than a contrivance and that everyone is
just cranky at being stuck together in some broken virtual elevator.
Nonetheless, if "we" are so worried about promoting Linux Audio, then
these lists are one of the few public points of exchange between
developers, the existing user base, and potential new users. If every
conversation devolves into bitter and pointed tit for tats who the
hell would stick around?

Not great "marketing" I have to say.

Back to the topic at hand, the fairlight website doesn't give any
detail at all into how linux is used in their systems. I can't find
any recent info but their FPGA cards seem to run on Windows XP so
unless they have developed new drivers it may be that linux is not
involved in the plugin process at all. I only posted out of technical
curiosity more than anything in the hope someone knew something more
about their systems.