[LAU] Fairlight

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Oct 25 01:44:40 UTC 2012

On Thu, October 25, 2012 12:29 pm, michael noble wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 9:12 AM, various people wrote:
>>

>> tough words
>>

> I'm not aiming this at you Patrick, or Alexandre, or anyone in
> particular, but it never ceases to amaze me how the LAU and LAD lists
> are some of the nastiest, most brutal mailing lists around. What is it
> that makes people so harsh about Linux Audio? I don't for a second
> think that this attitude is something inherent to mailing list
> communication as I'm subscribed to various mailing lists that are
> perfectly civil. I'm beginning to think the idea of a "Linux Audio
> Community" is nothing more than a contrivance and that everyone is
> just cranky at being stuck together in some broken virtual elevator.
> Nonetheless, if "we" are so worried about promoting Linux Audio, then
> these lists are one of the few public points of exchange between
> developers, the existing user base, and potential new users. If every
> conversation devolves into bitter and pointed tit for tats who the
> hell would stick around?
>
> Not great "marketing" I have to say.

The LAU list is a general topic mailing list which has a proven history of
being a brutal debate environment. It is what it is. Maybe it's because
musos and artistic types tend to be more passionate than most other
personality types. Maybe it's because people on this list tend to say
what's on their minds more than other lists. Maybe it's because Linux
Audio peeps are really just a bunch of a-holes that can't work with normal
non aggressive people ;-)

Maybe that's why Linux Audio Devs and Users are attracted to Linux Audio
in the first place?

> Back to the topic at hand, the fairlight website doesn't give any
> detail at all into how linux is used in their systems. I can't find
> any recent info but their FPGA cards seem to run on Windows XP so
> unless they have developed new drivers it may be that linux is not
> involved in the plugin process at all. I only posted out of technical
> curiosity more than anything in the hope someone knew something more
> about their systems.

IIUC the Linux part of the system is more like a communication protocol
for the physical controls to communicate with the FPGA. It's unlikely that
they have developed closed source Linux drivers for their audio cards yet
or that they ever will.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd