[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 04:33:56 UTC 2013

On 02/11/2013 05:44 PM, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Are you sure we are talking about the same book? I know this book very
> very well and I recall no wild assumptions and no lumping together.
> Kinsella's position on IP is extremely clear and very well formulated.
> There
> must be some misunderstanding there. In case you are interested, we can
> connect by email and discuss this, but his approach is to look at
> property rights.
> It applies to music very well.

I'll include a few quotes which led me to make my statement:

"In one recent case, the inventor of a new way to calculate a number
representing
the shortest path between two points—an extremely useful technique—was
not given patent protection
because this was “merely” a mathematical algorithm.47
But it is arbitrary and unfair to reward more practical inventors and
entertainment providers, such as the engineer
and songwriter, and to leave more theoretical science and math
researchers and philosophers unrewarded. The
distinction is inherently vague, arbitrary, and unjust."

"For example, your taking my lawnmower would not really deprive me of it
if I could conjure up another in the blink
of an eye. Lawnmower-taking in these circumstances would not be “theft.”
Property rights are not applicable to things
of infinite abundance, because there cannot be conflict over such things.
Thus, property rights must have objective, discernible borders, and must
be allocated in accordance with the first occupier
homesteading rule. Moreover, property rights can apply only to scarce
resources"

I'm still reading and absorbing. I am at odds with his stance in regards
to even infinite resources (or abundant resources) in certain
circumstances. For instance, if I were in a region with VAST amounts of
uninhabited space, and I decided to set up my camp in one certain
location, and "stake my claim," I would have a problem with someone else
coming along, kicking me off, and taking over my "claim," even though it
would be possible for me to simply move and find another area to settle
on. If a person took over my original area, they would be operating
under the assumption that they had a superior right to that specific plot.

--

---
My bands, CD projects, music, news, and pictures:

  http://www.lateralforce.com

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]