[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 06:39:19 UTC 2013

> I'll include a few quotes which led me to make my statement:
>
> "In one recent case, the inventor of a new way to calculate a number
> representing
> the shortest path between two points—an extremely useful technique—was
> not given patent protection
> because this was “merely” a mathematical algorithm.47
> But it is arbitrary and unfair to reward more practical inventors and
> entertainment providers, such as the engineer
> and songwriter, and to leave more theoretical science and math
> researchers and philosophers unrewarded. The
> distinction is inherently vague, arbitrary, and unjust."

Yeah, IP is not about copyright only, it is about patents as well. He is
referring to the
arbitrary nature of those laws, when they "reward" one thing but not
another.
So it is not about music per se, it is about the idea of IP itself.

> "For example, your taking my lawnmower would not really deprive me of it
> if I could conjure up another in the blink
> of an eye. Lawnmower-taking in these circumstances would not be “theft.”
> Property rights are not applicable to things
> of infinite abundance, because there cannot be conflict over such things.
> Thus, property rights must have objective, discernible borders, and must
> be allocated in accordance with the first occupier
> homesteading rule. Moreover, property rights can apply only to scarce
> resources"
>
> I'm still reading and absorbing. I am at odds with his stance in regards
> to even infinite resources (or abundant resources) in certain
> circumstances. For instance, if I were in a region with VAST amounts of
> uninhabited space, and I decided to set up my camp in one certain
> location, and "stake my claim," I would have a problem with someone else
> coming along, kicking me off, and taking over my "claim," even though it
> would be possible for me to simply move and find another area to settle
> on. If a person took over my original area, they would be operating
> under the assumption that they had a superior right to that specific plot.

This is a delicate moment. Things is, as soon as you set up a camp, a camp
becomes
a finite resource. And now it can be taken away.

Now, imagine if, at the moment you set a camp, anyone can come over and
just copy it
and it can be done infinitely. Would conflict be possible?

Also, bodies are scarce resources. And so anything involving bodies would
have grounds
for conflict. Imagine a land of paradise where everything is
super-abundant. But you would
still have conflicts, since you have only one body and you have a limited
resource called
"time". And so even in paradise some property rules would get established
concerning bodies.

But it is a huge topic and challenging. I think you took the correct
approach to absorb it and
think it over.

--
Louigi Verona