[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 18:16:34 UTC 2013

Hey James!

This is a more elaborate reply to your arguments.

1. "I simply object to Kinsella's denial that creative labor is worth
anything."

He does not say that it is not worth anything. He simply takes a property
approach to IP. It is not about value.

Intellectual property is a claim that there should be property rules in the
sphere of ideas. Thus, to analyze this
claim, we must analyze property theory.

2. "If I want to increase the value of the blank DVDs by printing onto them
content created by someone else, that's *just fine* because I own the
material goods. If I then sell these newly-valuable DVDs for higher than
the cost of the blank ones, I am earning a profit. The work that I did to
earn that profit is a tiny iota of the work that went into the content that
I used, but I am making money off of it and I am not paying the people who
did the hard work."

Right. Thing is - value has nothing to do with property rights. Property
rights appear as soon as there is rivalrousness.

To supply an example. Let's say you took someone's piece of marble and
created a statue out of it. Is it now your statue,
because you've added "value" to it?

Creation in itself does not give you any property rights. In fact, there is
no creation, there is always only changing matter
according to laws of physics.

3. Did you read the whole thing?

I am asking, because Stephan goes through all that in great detail.

L.V.