[LAU] MIDI note input by rhythm?

Angel de Vicente angelv at iac.es
Mon Jan 14 09:15:54 UTC 2013

Hi Tim,

Tim Goetze <tim at quitte.de> writes:

> [Angel de Vicente]
>>Is there any MIDI editor that would let me do something like this? If
>>not, do you think it could be easily implemented? If so, I could perhaps
>>contribute with some programming, but I would need some pointers as to
>>where to start (I have never done any music/MIDI programming, though I
>>have plenty of experience programming in other fields).
>
> I don't know of a MIDI sequencer that offers this (not that I know
> many to begin with) but I think it's a really neat idea for tackling
> the old problem of "how can I reliably input stuff way beyond my
> pianistic abilities and still have it played with a human quality".
>
> To get a quick working prototype, you could use the system commands
> arecordmidi and aplaymidi to get the data and use a high-level
> language like python with a MIDI file reader/writer module to process.
> Since you're only interested in relative timing, it's not a big
> problem if you can't get the record and playback clocks to be in
> perfect sync when you want to record over the track playing.

thanks for the suggestion. Unless I can find some other way to do it
with an existing sequencer, I'm afraid it looks like this is going to be
the route to follow. If I don't find any other way I will start playing
with Python-MIDI or Perl-MIDI stuff and see if this is something that I
could do in my (very little) spare time.

Cheers,
--
Ángel de Vicente
http://www.iac.es/galeria/angelv/