[LAU] MIDI note input by rhythm?

Edgar Aichinger edogawa at aon.at
Mon Jan 14 20:49:55 UTC 2013

Am Montag, 14. Januar 2013, 13:01:33 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> I never learned to play keyboard, IMO it's less effort to play left and
> right hand at a slower tempo one after the other, instead of editing
> MIDI events. I wonder if I would benefit from a MIDI pick up for
> guitars. I don't know how good and expensive they are today. IIRC the OP
> is a guitarist too. Every 5 years I'm thinking of buying a MIDI pick up,
> but until now I always cancel it. The early pick ups in the 80s didn't
> fit close enough to my needs and where to expensive for me.

I always dreamt of having one, and about ten years ago bought a 2nd hand Roland GR-33 Guitar synth and mounted the hex pickup to my cheap Ibanez EX.
Guess what, although the new possibilities were fascinating for some time i soon got bored of it. Tracking issues, both in time response and pitch, despite my best efforts to adjust it perfectly (may be due to weird resonances in the - did I say it's cheap? - guitar body, ROMpler sounds that soon put me off, limited patch editing possibilities onboard, (although i can also play my Wavestation with it, which makes a great combination), and it's definitely not the replacement for a midi keyboard i was hoping for, as i'm not playing keyboards well, either. I still play it sometimes though, and don't have plans to sell it anytime soon. If you can, borrow one for some time before you spend any money. YMMV though, I've heard the great austrian jazz guitarist Charlie Ratzer playing this old Casio MIDI guitar system, and it was amazing - that beast hardly missd any note during his blindingly fast solos...

Edgar