[LAU] LightWorks for Linux Demo

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Mar 16 13:09:42 UTC 2013

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Chris Bannister <cbannister at slingshot.co.nz
> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 08:36:40PM +0300, Louigi Verona wrote:
> > I agree. Of course, you cannot make total crap a success, no matter
> > how much money you spend on marketing, but once you are beyond total
> > crap, marketing is key!
>
> Yeah, I sort of agree, depending on the product, but how do you explain
> the success of Coca Cola and McDonalds. I reckon they are only
> successful *BECAUSE* of the marketing.

as one of my very insightful small business friends likes to say "under
capitalism all food tends to fat, sugar and salt".

these are the taste experiences we crave and enjoy (salt is a bit different
- its very bitter by itself, but has massive positive impacts on our
appreciation of *other* flavor). coca cola and mcdonalds, for all the utter
crap that they peddle, have created products that manage to appeal to these
cravings. of course, it can be done much better, but they're in the
business of doing it well enough, for less money. although marketing has
undoubtedly played a role, i'm sure you could have spent the same amount as
both of them combined to sell arugula salad with roast beets, goat cheese,
roasted walnuts and a blackberry balsamic dressing and gone precisely
nowhere. although hmm, that does sound pretty good ...