[LAU] Just got Android tablet for Christmas

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Dec 18 13:09:47 UTC 2014

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 5:54 AM, Set Hallström <sakrecoer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a hard time understanding why a tablet need to be approached so
> much differently than computers. Alright, the interface is different....
> but what else? Can someone explain to me?

in most GUI software the "interface" (mapping between model state, user
input and visual presentation) is the majority of the code. Changing the
interface isn't a detail, it's everything. Tablets have (a) no keyboard (b)
no concept of pointer motion without a drag (c) no concept of hover (d)
much less screen real estate (e) multitouch (in some cases, at least). that
is enough of a set of changes that any desktop application which took
advantage of some of the scale of a desktop system will likely need to be
reconceived fairly deeply.