[LAU] zita-njbridge > zita-nabridge ?

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Fri Oct 24 18:58:44 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 10:46:28AM +0200, raf wrote:

> I have a situation in mind : in a LAN a central computer running jack server with a lot of audio I/O, and lightweight clients with stereo I/O.
> I'd like those clients to be able to send a receive 2 channels of audio to the central jack server, lowest latency possible.
>
> With the zita-njbridge and jack server running on the lightweight clients, it works, but considering i don't need the jack server on the lightweight clients (no effect plugins, no routing, no synths...) could a zita-nabridge exist to capture/override the streams from the client's embedded alsa device ?

In theory such a thing could exist, it would be an ALSA device
that receives and/or sends audio using the njbridge protocol.
No resampling would be needed as it would be the 'master'
device on the local system.

In practice that is not very likely to happen, the reason
being that interfacing to Jack is so much more easy than
writing an ALSA driver. Also, passing via Jack does not
add any latency, and in most cases users will want the
flexibility it provides.

Ciao,

--
FA