[LAU] FreeBSD

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jan 7 11:17:45 UTC 2015

Resume: FreeBSD can't replace a Linux audio production environment.

A last note from me regarding systemd:

On Wed, 7 Jan 2015 09:42:40 +0100, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
> the majority of end users simply follow the mainstream thinking it's
> cool and wise to put emphasis on Torvalds words about the kernel
> logging thing and that's what I think is really wacky about Linux.

The majority of users don't know Torvalds words, but they experienced
that one or the other systemd upgrade caused fatal issues. They
experienced additional issues when trying to fix issues using
journalctl. They experienced completely idiotic changes for defaults on
a system that was stable for years, e.g. when eth0 was renamed to
enp3s0. The resume is that it caused 100s of little, fixable issues, so
you needed to fix a install that was stable before. Several admins know
Torvalds words and often agree with him, but the reason that they are
against systemd is that they lost functionality, there's no way to get
back what they need, at least not that easy as it can be done for our
desktop computers, were most problems can be fixed by working a few
days. The averaged *buntu replaced Windows user won't notice a
difference between SysVinit, Upstart and systemd, but many power-users
who set up their machines to their individual needs and work-flows at
least from time to time have to spend a few hours to fix systemd issues.
Sometimes, when there e.g. was the endless disk checking with each
startup, users who don't shutdown their machines, couldn't notice such
an issue. The problem is that systemd sometimes tries to fix some odd
ideas from the time before we used systemd, but this likely does cause
backwards incompatibility, so the user needs to fix it or to completely
change her/his work-flow. Usually people don't dislike systemd to fake
coolness and wisdom, they experience everything from little annoyances
to serious issues and that's why they are against an attitude, not
against systemd per se.

PS: JFTR I don't separate systemd from udev and from journalctl etc..
                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^
    I need to correct my previous claim. I'm confusing two different
    fsck issues that appeared at the same time. IIRC endless fsck issue
    wasn't caused by systemd, but IIRC another fsck issue was and at
    least troubleshooting wasn't easy. However similar things not that
    seldom happen, there only is the need to follow mailing lists of
    distros that use systemd.

Btw. discussions about systemd were censored at some Linux mailing
lists, but not at the FreeBSD list:

Gnome2 -> Gnome3 - no way
"It is worth noting that Gnome3  was a massive change to
Gnome2. It has been slightly less controversial than systemd, but only
slightly." -
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2015-January/263472.html
Such a statement on some Linux mailing lists still easily could result
in insults and warnings from list moderators.

--
Guerilla Open Access Manifesto:
https://archive.org/stream/GuerillaOpenAccessManifesto/Goamjuly2008_djvu.txt