[LAU] CD printout for manufacturer

Peter Lutek peter at peterlutek.com
Thu Jan 8 13:26:22 UTC 2015

hi len... thanks!

yes, that all makes sense and is stuff i'm already aware of. what i'm
wondering about is making more human-readable reports of the CD details,
*besides* the file-pair required for burning. most CD manufacturers ask
for this, and a lot of mastering software on other platforms have
facilities to generate such things. to be sure, it's not a big deal to
put it together by hand, from the CUE or TOC, but it just seems like one
more thing which could (i.e. should?) be automated.  :)

as an aside, i've always thought it's a bit silly that the
manufacturers want something "pretty" to look at, since all the details
are encoded on the burned CD anyways, but i guess sometimes they
double-check these things...

cheers!
.pltk.

On 2015-01-07 17:08, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2015, Peter Lutek wrote:
>
>> greetings!
>>
>> most CD manufacturers require a printout of the CD layout (track
>> start/end, pre-gaps, ISRC, CD-text, etc.) along with the burned CD,
>> before manufacturing. a lot of commercial mastering software seems to
>> have a facility, linked to the CD layout functions, which formats such
>> data in a printable form.
>>
>> on linux, i've always just transferred all that stuff by hand into a
>> document, but i'm wondering if anyone has an easy way of automating
>> this at all. it doesn't look like there's a direct way to do that in
>> Mixbus, which is my DAW at the moment...
>
> Just a bit of background first to make sure both you and I are
> thinking the same way. Normally to make a DAO CD (best thing for
> audio) You need two files, The binary and the TOC or the CUE. The TOC
> for sure has all that info in it (or should) so you should have it
> already somewhere. However, If you can't find it, putting the CD in
> your computer CD/DVD drive and doing:
>
> cdrdao show-toc filename.toc
>
> should get it for you.
>
> This will only work assuming all the info you wish (Including ISRC
> and text) were entered somewhere in Mixbus in the first place.
> Otherwise only track start and length will be there.
>
> Am I making sense?
>
> --
> Len Ovens
> www.ovenwerks.net