[LAU] free/libre/open online music distribution

Set Hallstrom sakrecoer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 07:49:57 UTC 2015

Thank you for the compliment. I guess the reason i enjoy jekyll so much
is because my ignorant savant knowledge is limited to CSS, html and the
ability to cut, paste and customize javascript... Writing a plug-in to
drupal is at a much higher syntax level. Making it difficult for someone
without php skills to achieve anything wihtout having access to a
readymade system and graphic lay-out. In jekyll, i just add the script
file in the html header of my template and incorporate it as i please
with html/css. To me, this means one layer of abstraction less.

On 2015-03-25 15:43, Wayne DePrince Jr. wrote:
> 	LOL i was talking to Zirafa about something similar (he calls it "Cassette") a while back.  i have been playing around with some static tools and am currently trying to do something like that, instead of simply generating a website.  though as you say the learning curve is steep for someone not doing this regularly.  however, i think it would be a great tool for non-tech musicians/etc: just get the audio, images, etc. in the right place and type "generate" and viola, a site with correctly tagged media for sharing ;)  well if anything even comes of this i will announce it here, though do not hold your breath ;P

Jekyll has excellent picture gallery plug-ins that work this way: you
put the jpg/ong's in a folder, and then when you type jekyll build and
voilà! The trick in our case would be to get something to extract the id
tag data and inject in the template. Now i don't know to what extend,
but i guess it would be possible to build upon such a gallery plug-in.

On 2015-03-25 15:43, Wayne DePrince Jr. wrote:
> 	yes, Pt (Pushtape) is very cool and well done, and i can attest that it works well out of the box.  i just am wary of going down the CMS+DB road and maintaining that stack.  but that is a just my experience with Drupal/etc. not w/ Pt.

PT is the best dynamic CMS alternative for a musician, according to me.
Then again, you gotta love drupal, but yes i agree CMS/php/db is a hard
world. PHP is nice, but there are so many security things to keep
control over. I once built this drupal site for a record label. Then i
went on a holiday, missed some crucial security update. Next thing we
know, we were owned by a malicious phishing robot targeting visa, and
all the search engines and browsers were warning everybody about that
labels URL... devastating to be honest. Another aspect for a less savant
musician is the backup thing. If you suddenly decide you want to change
your publishing system, you got to learn how to extract your posts from
the DB. Jekyll's db is a simple folder with a text file for each post.
Obviously, the advantage of drupal is that you don't need an sftp client
or know scp. But there are solutions like hosting your site on github
and using http://prose.io/ . This article by development seed is quite
interesting:
https://developmentseed.org/blog/2012/07/27/build-cms-free-websites/

Have a great awoken time y'all!