[LAU] ZynAddSubFX Usability Survey

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Fri Apr 29 16:18:57 UTC 2016

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 11:37:25 -0400
Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> From Apple's "Optimizing Audio Unit User Experience in Logic Studio"
>
> "For even better user interface integration, custom Audio Unit Views should
> refrain from using overlay windows and from opening sheets or auxiliary
> windows other than for file browsing. All user interface elements should be
> presented inside the root Audio Unit View by laying out its content
> dynamically and resizing as necessary. The host window listens to size
> change notifications and will adapt automatically."

Well now, I had intended to stay out of this discussion - not my business - but
I can't let this go without comment.

I don't use any Apple, nor any Microsoft kit, so don't feel obliged to adhere
to their diktats. Indeed I *specifically* want to get away from other people
telling me what I should do; how I should 'experience' the computer.

Since the days of the Acorn Archimedes, everything I use has had independent
windows that can be placed where *I* want them, and instantly rolled up to just
the title bar. From what I've observed I can work much faster than people using
single panel programs with any degree of complexity. In particular, with most
programs, at the flick of the scroll wheel I can view a window to remind myself
of it's contents while maintaining input focus in another - the bulk of which
doesn't even have to be visible.

One of the reasons my sequencer of preference is Rosegarden is that they take
the same approach. It is entirely normal for me to have 5-6 track windows open
but scrolled up with just their title bars set like Hanover bars while also
observing the main transport. This is a godsend when editing, especially when
checking timelines, or copy-pasting just a few notes from one track to another.

However, I don't tell anyone else they should do the same - I don't even tell
the Gnome people they are wrong :)

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk