[LAU] Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 recognised, inputs work, but no output - Mint 18

Marco Donnarumma lists at marcodonnarumma.com
Tue Aug 9 15:48:48 UTC 2016

Dear all,

I have been using my Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 for a couple of years without
issues on a Linux Mint 17 laptop. I can use the sound card only via
Qjackctl (no ALSA out of the box).

Now, I have a new computer (shuttle xpc slim) on which I installed Linux
Mint 18.
The sound card is recognised by both Jack and cat /proc/asound/cards.
It even correctly appears in the system sound preferences, which did not
happen in Mint 17.

However, while the inputs work, there's no output. I've tested with a bunch
of audio software, such as Pd, Ardour, Hydrogen, etc..

Interestingly, if, immediately after testing with Mint 18, I plug the sound
card back to my Mint 17 laptop, at first, the sound card does not produce
output. I have to power off the sound card and re-plug it, then it works.

I would need this to work only with Jack, I'm not looking for an ALSA fix.

I know in the past three years there has been a few ALSA patches to make
this range of Focusrite work, and I think most of those patches are now in
the mainline kernel. Although I'm not familiar with this.

Does anything I could try come to mind?

[SYSTEM INFO]
Mint 18
kernel: 4.4.0-31-lowlatency
alsa-base 1.0.25
libasound, etc.. 1.1.0

thanks in advance!
best wishes,

--
Marco Donnarumma, Ph.D

*Performing bodies, sound and machines**Universität der Künste Berlin*
http://marcodonnarumma.com

4w33534643646