[LAU] WhyPhil? A webshow about Linux Audio (and then some)

Roger gurusonic at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 12:45:36 UTC 2016

On 03/06/16 19:43, Yassin Philip wrote:

> On 03/06/16 08:35, Christopher Arndt wrote:
>> Am 02.06.2016 um 23:15 schrieb Yassin Philip:
>>> Oh, and do you thing I can do something for the existing
>>> episodes?
>>
>> If you have recorded the voice separately, you can try applying a
>> lowpass shelve filter with a cutoff around 150 - 200 Hz. If you want
>> to get fancy, you can also try a dynamic EQ.
> Hmm no, the voice is mixed (by pulse) with the music ; I think
> existing episodes will stay "as is" :( but I want to get it right for
> the next ones. I'm going to try input => compressor =>deesser =>
> reverb ; but about that " lowpass shelve filter with a cutoff around
> 150 - 200 Hz" business, is there a way to insert such a processing
> inside my realtime effect chain (Calf Only, ATM) ? If I follow you,
> this would be a Calf Eq 5 bands, with every band off except for the
> far left "low shelf", dragged at 160Hz, and pushed down a bit, right?
> Now should I (gererally) put it in front of the compressor, or after?
>
> Thanks a *lot* for those advices!!
I enjoyed the first video a lot as have have been putting off trying to
do recording like this as I didn't know where to start. My background is
mainly live mixing and this gives me incentive to diversify.
Dynamic EQ would be the best way to improve the current audio as it will
only cut the problem frequency when the level goes over a threshold.
Normal EQ applied to the whole track would make the non-offending bits
sound thinner. You could fine tune a multiband compressor to do this
too. Personally I thought the breathy noises were noticeable but not
greatly annoying.
In future speak a little off mic to reduce those breath plosives.
I will watch your other videos soon and look forward to future episodes.
Thank you for taking the time and energy to make them!

Cheers, Roger