[LAU] file organization ?

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Fri Oct 14 11:47:31 UTC 2016

Hey Jo,

On 10/14/2016 07:09 AM, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> Dave Phillips wrote:
>> Does such a file manager exist ? How do you manage very large
>> collections of soundfiles ?
> I believe I've seen one or two the last 10-15 years, but the design and
> thinking was more programmer/bed room inspired than done with the composer/
> sound engineer mind set. One need a rock solid long term system, so I ended up
> doing this by file structure:

Thanks for your design, it is inspiring. I'm already doing something
similar with my Ardour projects, but my greater problem is the sheer
number of unassigned/unsorted files I generate. I use various programs
and environments to create sounds that may or may not end up in actual
works. As a result I have a huge collection of unorganized files that
extends back through many years and many (mostly defunct) projects.

And in the case of my recent gaffe I wasn't aware of the file's
provenance. It had been filed along with a bunch of files I use for work
in AVSynthesis and wound up being deployed where it shouldn't have been.
AFAICT there's no metadata to the file that would have alerted me to its
status, but if I had better file organization I might not have put it in
with my AVS work files.

Thanks again for the inspiration. It has me thinking about a better way
of doing things here.

Best,

dp