[LAU] getting LFE channel to work with PulseAudio 5.1

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sat Dec 2 11:07:04 UTC 2017

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> writes:

> On Sat, 02 Dec 2017 10:12:22 +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>>at some point of time jackd and pulseaudio needed _different_ settings
>>in order to work properly
>
> Hi :D
>
> then why did you questioned a while ago that some users don't want to
> install pulseaudio,

I did not "question it" but stated that there were good reasons for
installing it.  Which you need to deny over and over by pointing out
repeatedly that you did not install it.  Of course one can manage to
make Pulseaudio work even with the HDSP.  I don't use the HDSP any more
for serious work (I prefer using my Mackie mixer with Firewire card) and
actually wanted to sell it already.  It's a pity that support for newer
cards in ALSA is no longer similarly thorough.  Last time I got it out
was because the soundcards I had had no optical S/PDIF input available.
Nothing that can't be cured without a 10EUR converter.

At any rate, that data point is a single card with a curious setting
("Precise Pointer"? Seriously?).  My problems were 10 years ago or so
and I have no indication that they would be still around (nor otherwise:
not enough serious use for getting current evidence).  That was during
Pulseaudio's infancy as Ubuntu default.

> or even recommend to remove it for troubleshooting purpose, given that
> some audio cards, e.g. the HDSPe AIO I own doesn't work properly with
> Linux at all. The HDSPe AIO of other Linux users might work without
> all of the issues I experience, but at least they must suffer from
> some issues I experience, too, e.g. Ardour can't be used with ALSA
> instead of jackd. So risking that additionally pulseaudio _could_
> cause issues makes no sense.

Pulseaudio does a number of things with regard to desktop integration
that Jackd is no alternative for.

Different tools for different purposes.  And of course no Pulseaudio for
Ralf.  We got that, Ralf.  No reason to pontificate all over again.

--
David Kastrup